Thursday, February 18, 2010

Googly

Last night was a great night. In the evening he took his first walk around the unit and picked out a few video games. Our nurse last night was Megan, and she was DARLING and fabulous! But then again all of our nurses have been fabulous! There was no vomiting nor any headaches last night! Yesterday was the first day in almost 2 months where he didn't have a headache for the whole day! Looks as though the Prednisone is already working! He slept wonderfully last night, woke up around nine, ate some fruit loops with whole milk and is now watching cartoons. Our two main Oncologists, Dr. Verma and Dr. Fluchel came and talked to me today about starting radiation sooner, like next week. They have categorized his cancer as stage 4 because the damn thing has metastasized into the bone marrow. He was already considered high risk because of the location of the tumor and so treatment protocol will not change but they would now like to start radiation next week instead of week 20. So at the beginning of this journey (because it already seems like it has been an eternity) I was really hoping for the miracle of no radiation. I was, however, filled with peace as they suggested this schedule change in his treatment plan. I know the Lord is watching over our doctors and I feel comfortable with their decisions. On a different note, I think we have our anti-nausea "concoction" down. He take Anzemet every 24 hours, Ativan every 4-6 PRN (as needed), and the Benedryl/Phenergan combo at night every 4-6 hours PRN, this helps him sleep. Our nurse this morning is the nicest lady ever! Her name is Tomoko. She is from Japan and speaks English very well, and is just the happiest little thing! I will get a picture with her later. Spence woke up with googly eyes and wanted me to post it on the blog. I love him!


He almost looks like one of those funny dog and cat faces that they have on cards. You know which ones I am talking about? I couldn't find a picture online.




Adorable Megan and Spencer taking a walk last night!

5 comments:

  1. It is so wonderful that you have such AMAZING medical care! For those of us too far away it is so comforting to know that they are taking the best care of our little Spence as possible.

    Even though it is going to be a long road it sounds like the family will have plenty of positive things to look forward too. I love you all and am hoping to visit....someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I just can't help falling in love with with that kid, even with his googly eyes! So glad he had a good night, here's to many, many more as Super Spence fights through this adventure. Give him our love, especially Jesse's love and support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you have good care and such strength (even if it doesn't feel like it). I wish I could hug you all really tight right now. alb

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the mother of a 3-year pediatric cancer survivor (he was 15 months old at diagnosis), my heart hurts for you and your family. I know how nerve-racking caring for the "tubey" (broviac) is, but it was comforting to know that the doctors could access what they needed to so quickly, without additional pain. Our story is "peanuts" compared to the journey you have begun, and I hope that Spencer's outcome is as positive as our child's is proving to be. Priesthood blessings were a great source of comfort to us, and please know that our prayers are with you.
    Kristen Schneider
    rykrisp@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is such a cutie face, love his googly eyes :)

    ReplyDelete