Monday, February 8, 2010

Banana Muffins


I am going to call this the parable of the banana muffins. On Saturday while we were in the hospital Spencer was not eating anything at all. He was feeling sick all day. Finally at the end of the night we got him to eat a muffin. It was soft enough for him to swallow and still had a sweet taste to enjoy. The next morning he enjoyed a few more bites. He tried to eat a few soggy fruit loops but it still hurt him. I told him that we could stop by the store and grab him some muffins and he said "But mom we can't get any today, it's Sunday." My sweet sick, hungry little boy was willing to not eat anything because he wanted to keep the sabbath day holy by not going to the store. We finally got home and sitting on our counter (a friend had found them on our porch and put them inside) a big plate of banana and blueberry muffins! My visiting teaching companion, Denise, had been inspired in some way to bring muffins by our house. Most people bring cookies, or brownies, sometimes even rice krispy treats, but muffins?! Another cool thing about it, is that banana muffins are his favorite! He ate a whole muffin that morning. Thank you Denise, and all of our other friends and family that have been inspired to bring the things our family needs at this time!

8 comments:

  1. oh how sweet!!!! i'm in constant prayer for you guys Holly. If you ever need anything from us down here, please let me know! We love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been fasting an praying for you, Spence. You are in every prayer of ours. We can't stand being away from you during this time. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a cool story!!! Spencer has always been a very spiritual boy. You guys have taught him so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have received unusual gifts from my visiting teachers (crackers and apple juice when I was pregnant, yet no one knew!) We truly are answers to each others prayers. You will be so blessed because you have so very many people praying for you (all of you!) Lots of love, Linda Reichert (Cindy and Thayne's Niece)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This story needs to be in the Mormon Times or the Ensign. BEautiful Story.
    I'm Melanie's Friend from Bend, Oregon. I hope you don't mind me reading up on your brave Spencer. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holly I am thinking of you and your family. Way to be strong, I don't know how you are doing it, but you are right we can make it through whatever we have too. Love you and hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Elder Spencer Gooch, I am so honored to be your grandma. My New Years Resolution was to do better at keeping the Sabbath Day Holy. I have done pretty good so far but now with your perfect example I know I can do even better. You help me and aunt brookie to be better people. I love you with all my heart and so does brookie,(and Piper:) See you soon, love, hugs and kisses galore, Neina

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had the same experience, but it was cranberry muffins. Isn't it incredible what something so small can do for you?

    ReplyDelete