Sunday, February 14, 2010

Cherish











For those of you who know me, know that I love holidays. Any holiday I try to bring joy to my children by making things fun. This is a different sort of year, with a different sort of feelings, perspectives changed, priorities changed, and a "little black raincloud". I woke up this morning thinking I wanted to stay in bed, to wallow just a little in self pity, and to cuddle with my boy. As I came to the realization of my gloominess, I decided I need to commit to as much "normalcy" (if that is even possible) as I can for my babies. I got out of bed and determined pink heart french toast it would be! I even added a side of "red potatoes"! It is amazing how just a pinch of happiness in a rainy little world can create rainbows. The kiddies were satisfied. Belle, my 5 year old daughter mentioned that this year is Gavin's (9 months old in 2 days) first Valentine's day. This cheered my sulky heart for staying commited to my role as mommy, the mommy who makes the holidays fun. I had bought fabric about a month ago to make blankets for the kids for Valentines Day. When this "boulder" came crashing down on our family it became the farthest thing from my mind. Every week Belle would say, "mom don't forget about our blankets." What to do? I knew I would not have the time or the energy, but don't you worry Katie to the rescue. For those of you who don't know Katie, Katie is the ultimate "homemaker" and the ultimate friend. She has inspired me in so many ways. She worked on those blanket for me over the last couple of days and they turned out amazing! Okay, SO my main goal of this post was to emphasize the importance of family. Of cherishing those little souls who you have been so lucky to have in your lives. Of cherishing your husband, no matter his faults. Of cherishing the family who is so willing to sacrifice their schedules to come to your aid, and pray for you with all of their being. Cherish every moment you have surrounded by loved ones. This is the best Valentines Day I have ever experienced. I have learned that chocolates, flowers, diamonds, presents in general are so insignificant compared to the gift of family. I cherish the life of my Spence, and I cherish the opportunity that I have had thus far to be his mom.

4 comments:

  1. Holly you're making all of us cry so often and todays post was tears of joy! You are so right. I talked about you & Spence a lot at church today. A lot of our friends and ward members have enjoyed your blog and the wonderful writer that you are. They comment on how amazingly strong you are and of Spencer's very real testimony at such a young age. We love you and send hugs and kisses to you on this best Valentines Day EVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Holly my heart aches for your little Spencer, you, and your family. It's been a couple of years since I heard anything about my old Robert's friend and I was surprised to hear about this struggle from Terra. My thoughts, prayers,and even some tears are with you and your family. May you find strength and love when you need it most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful family you are!
    It was so fun to see Spencer at school on Friday!!!
    My daughters blog that we talked about on Friday is gorogan.blogspot.com
    You are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun! I knew you would come through with something fun...I always love seeing your creative holiday stuff :) We didn't do Valentines Day this weekend because we were out of town & running around to baby blessing & weddings...anyway, our FHE tonight will be about Valentines Day stuff & I might have to copy off of your Heart French Toast. I love it - and I love the blankets! How cute :)

    ReplyDelete