Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Kryptonite and Hot Chocolate

So stressed about the bone scan injection until he found out that there are no more I.V.'s for him! That is what his central line (Broviac double lumen) is for!
A big "half smile" for the smothered chimichangas, chips and sour cream for lunch!
Bone Scan.
Echo. He got a blanket and tokens for the toy machine for this. The one vending machine was not working right and it gave him THREE toys instead of one! SWEET!
Our Onc room. That is Nicole the tech or CNA. His nurse is Gina. She is great we will get a picture with her soon.

Have you ever been out in the cold for so long that it hurts? You are shivering so hard that you have no control over the shaking? Then you finally find yourself inside, a safe haven from the cold and you grab a mug of hot chocolate, gourmet hot chocolate with marshmallows. You can literally feel the warmth of the liquid traveling through your body. Today I have been shivering. Uncontrollably. Watching Spence do the bone scan out of all things broke me. Thinking about this "poison", this Kryptonite, breaking him down made me hopeless, for a moment. After all of the preliminary procedures were done today Nate met us outside of oncology. It was an ominous feeling walking through the double set of big double doors. A unit that I never imagined walking into. We came to our room and were greeted by so many NICE people, for lack of a better word. This is my moment of walking into a warm house and grabbing my mug of hot chocolate. Techs, nurses, nurse practioners, doctors, filling our room with such a presence of warmth that I can only now compare it to the enjoyment of warm hot chocolate filling my body with heat, the heat I had been craving all day long. It has been a long day. Spence is filling up with fluids and then we will start chemo in a couple of hours. He had a yummy chimichanga for lunch and found his way to the "treat" room here in oncology. I cannot even begin to express my amazement at his strong spirit and bravery. I am going to enjoy this warm cup of chocolate, with marshmallows.
P.S. They are putting Spence on steroids for his droopy face caused by inflamed facial nerves. The doctors say the steroids coupled with the chemo treatment should reverse the effects. Also, since I won't have much time to update my "normal" family blog I should make mention that Gavin is 9 months old today. He has now been out as long as he was in! He brings so much joy to our family and he loves his brother so much. He gets so excited when Spencer walks into the room. He started "scooting" around the room last week. He is almost crawling. I give him another couple of weeks.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for keeping us updated. We are thinking of Spencer at this time and pray for him. You are such a inspiration to me.
    Gavin is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three Prizes!!! My wish came true!

    I love you Spencer with all my heart and soul and nothing and nobody can make me feel any different because you are my best boy.
    I know Heavenly Father is watching over you and it's because He loves you even more than I do. Hugs and Kisses Galore!!! Grandma Neina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was treated at Long Beach Memorial - in the pediatric cancer unit there. Walking into it was hard but walking out of it was harder. It slowly became a twisted sort of 'safe haven' where I didn't have to explain why I felt crappy or why I didn't have any eyelashes. They were all there for one reason - to make me feel better and heal. I met angels there whom I will never forget. I'm grateful you have a broviac... they are far superior to a port-a-cath!

    ReplyDelete