Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Full Throttle

I apologize for not having as many pictures as I usually do. It is just disheartening to take pics of him when he is having blah days and not feeling well. He threw up a couple of times last night and once this morning. He has not been on his feeds for a couple of days which makes me nervous, but his poor tummy needs a few days to rest and settle. I am hoping to start back up today. He is definitely a fighter. Only minutes after I cleaned up his vomit and gave him his meds he was up and at em! He wanted to go downstairs and watch a movie, but the Ativan makes him loopy so I want him to stay put for a bit. He is a funny guy. Dr. Afify, was the attending who discharged Spencer yesterday and she was the same doc who admitted him when he was dehydrated a few weeks ago. She told me that she was so amazed at his strength, and in her thick accent said "I think his strength comes from inside, his spirit and his mind". Oh, if she only knew how strong that spirit inside of him is. I just thought it incredible, that a doctor, a scientist, could recognize that fighting passion from within. I owe it all to the faith and prayers of all of you and the tender mercies of the Lord. These things are nothing short of miracles and I wanted all to recognize that. I have heard stories from other moms and friends who have had these chemoes and had a difficult time with recovery. Spence is hard core! I am now really starting to see the fighter that I have desperately been praying for! This morning Dylan, our home health nurse came to give Spence his dose of Nupogen. It helps stimulate the growth of white blood cells in the bone marrow to increase his immune system after chemoes that knock them out. Usually you have to have the injections for multiple days while they increase but our insurance approved the new "one time only" dose. Of course he had his anxieties and Dylan was really good to wait until he was ready. He cried for a few seconds and then he was fine. Dylan drives a motorcycle and told Spence that he could come out and see it if he would like. It was a cool red and chrome Harley Davidson with a cool flame feature in the back. Spencer thought it was pretty cool and then Dylan let him start and throttle the bike. It was a fun little adventure for the day! Thanks Dylan! My cousin Hillary is coming tonight to stay with us for the week so we are straightening up the house and getting ready for a fun filled week!

4 comments:

  1. Have fun with Hillary! Miss you guys! alb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz says she likes biker boys! Kidding...just wanted to make you laugh. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad he only has to get one shot. We were never offered that option, so Kristoffer had to get about 15 shots after every round of chemo. Another blessing for Spencer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad Spence had a little fun in his day. Home Health Nurse/Aids are AWESOME!!!!
    I grew up with Hillary, Tell her "Hi" from Sariah

    ReplyDelete