Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tubalicious

So it finally came down to the last resort. This morning we had to place an NG (nasogastric) tube so that Spencer could get the calories and nutrition he needs. He will have to have it indefinitely. He will have to have it at home. He lost about 2 lbs just over the weekend and his clothes and his underwear are literally falling off of him. His bones are protruding. We were supposed to go to Make-A-Wish today to make his wish but we will have to postpone it. We are hoping to go home tomorrow but it mostly depends on how he is feeling and how well his body is doing. He pretty much screamed when they placed it. They put the yellow tubing up his nose and then down his esophagus and into his stomach. It really is such a great way to get nutrition in and one of the many things that excites me about the medical field. He is not happy about having to have it but I think he realizes that he NEEDS it. A few minutes after they placed it and got the formula going through the tube, I was trying to lift his spirits and I told him that our friend left stuff to make strawberry shortcake. I asked him if that sounded good and he looked at me with his expressionless face and said "I am already eating." I love this boy and am glad he can still crack jokes even if he does not feeling like laughing.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet little guy - "I'm already eating," I love it :) If it's making him feel better, I am all for it. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete