Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Long Weekend

The beginning of last week was pretty mellow until Spencer's blood draws on Tuesday showed that his hematocrit was really low. We had his PET scan and his chemo scheduled for Thursday and I was bummed that we were going to have to take another day out of our cleaning house schedule to go all the way to PCMC for blood. BUT that is the way the cookie crumbles and we are prepared with glasses of milk! Luckily, the wonderfully organized hem/onc clinic canceled his chemo on Thursday and just gave it to him with his blood so that we didn't have to make another trip. I love them. The PET scan was at a different hospital anyway so it all worked out well. Blood takes a long time to be ordered and then takes a few hours to infuse so we were there all day. It was fun to see all of our friends at clinic that we hadn't seen for a while, AND some of our beautiful, skinny nurses (cough, Tiffany, cough) that we love to see as often as possible! The next day was even longer. We had to be at IMC for the PET scan at 6:30 in the morning and we did not get out of that place until 12:30 p.m. For me it was SIX hours of waiting. Spence, fortunately for him, was "out" most of the time. The anesthesiologist and her tech were awesome. They made the experience more enjoyable for the last time. The nurses, however, are just not the same. You can tell that they do not specialize in children. I love the picture with Spence in the cap. He didn't have to wear it, he just thought he would be funny!


On Friday we made plans to visit my grandma in Pleasant Grove. We had Kneaders sandwiches for lunch and hung out in the backyard and enjoyed the beautiful day, and the beautiful view. My Uncle Brian stopped by to say hi to Spence and then Grandma and Spence spent the res of the afternoon looking through old photo albums. Spence picked the ones with our wedding and with his birth. They were fun to look through. I forgot how freaking cute my Natey was back in those days. He is even more handsome now, but I think sometimes we forget who we fell in love with, but I am glad I fell in love with him!

After Grandma's we headed to Melissa and Jeff's (Nate's sister and her husband) house for dinner. We grilled chicken sausage (deelish), New York steak, Shrimp, and veggies, and then roasted some s'mores for dessert. Mars thought it was a good idea to paint her face with marshmallows, silly girl! It was an enjoyable evening.
The next morning we were celebrating my sister, Raynee's birthday, at Liberty Park. We grilled and played and relaxed. Spence ran around and played games and had an enjoyable time. It always makes me so happy to see him doing "normal" boy things. My sister Lindsay was there. It was nice to see her, it had been awhile. Belle played in the lazy river and had a snow cone. My brother Logan had just come back from scout camp the night before and spent the evening in the instacare. They went to Zero Gravity in the San Rafael Swell, which consist of slot canyons. One of the boys in the group, who was a lot bigger in size than Logan, got trapped in between on of the slots they were climbing. He was hanging there with the ground FAR below him, death waiting. Logan climbed up underneath him and supported him on his back for TWO FREAKING HOURS while they waiting for search and rescue. A total of seven hours later the boy was free. I wish I had pictures of Logan's back. He didn't have a shirt on while he was supporting this kid and his back is torn up. He is on steroids and antibiotics for the infection. He was totally a hero!


Sunday, Father's Day, was also a super fun day. We went to my dad's and had ribeye, and humongous crab legs, homemade potato salad, fruit salad, grilled corn on the cob, and pineapple upside down cake. The weekend was long but worth all of the fun and "normalcy" we are hoping the summer will bring us.








2 comments:

  1. Wow!! You had a crazy week! Thanks for the little boost, obviously you need to put on some glasses or something - I don't think I've ever been called "skinny". You made my week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all of this "celebrating" how could you not gain weight. WOW.. your brother Logan (yours or your husbands) is a huge hero. The story made me so nervous.. 2 hours,.. are you kidding me already?

    ReplyDelete