Monday, June 21, 2010

Last But Not Least




c
On most chemo admits, we start late enough in the day that by the time we are done on the last day, it is too late to leave that night so we stay until the next morning. This last stay we got lucky and ended around 6 so we were able to leave that same evening! I feel like it was another tender mercy given to us, because the next day was Spencers last day of school. I wanted so bad for him to be there. It was kind of an emotional day for me. It is hard to put into words how I was feeling. I didn't want it to end. This whole experience has been surreal to me, dream like almost and now that we were coming to a close on a school year that should have been fantastic for him, it turned this dream state into reality. I almost feel like it was a "ghostly" year. Like we were never really there but flew in and out, never in our bodies. For the other two years of school I was a heavily involved room mom, participating in testing and activities and daily projects. I knew every child in each class. I still do. This year, I couldn't even tell you more than 4 kids names. Last summer the moment Spence found out he was going to have a "boy teacher" that is all he could talk about. He was so excited and he just loved Mr. Davis to pieces. I just feel like the boy got jipped. So, on the last day of school, Spencer spent his first whole short day there since his diagnosis. He had only been to school a few days since the Christmas break so he really hasn't had schooling since the holidays. It all just makes me feel like barfing. He did have a wonderful day and I am thankful to all of the wonderful, wonderful staff and parents who took our family under their wings and made the very best out of this awful situation for my son and my family. They played games and goofed around and had a fun time. I even left him alone at the school for two hours while I picked up gifts for his teacher and the wonderful office girls. I then picked up some lunch and headed to the school with Gavs and Belle and spent the rest of the day there. Next year will be a whole new ball game. Spence will be going through treatment for most of his school year and Isabelle will be in kindergarten. We are looking forward to a fun summer and hope that next year finds us on campus more often than not. At the end of the day on the last day, Mr. Davis asked if it was alright for Spence to be able to keep the classroom frogs. He said that Spencer just loved those frogs from day one and he felt he should have them. So, now Esteban and Ricardo are now part of our family and we love those dang amphibians!

No comments:

Post a Comment