Monday, November 29, 2010

The Other Side of the Rainbow

This is the Israel Kamakawiwo Ole version. It should be playing now. I want those who have not heard this version to experience it and those who have to enjoy it again. I heard it today and for the first time listened to the lyrics. I feel like we are approaching the other side of the rainbow and I wanted you all to read these lyrics. Feel them. Wish for them in your life. Look to the other side of the rainbow.
Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high
And the dreams that you dreamed of Once in a lullaby
Somewhere over the rainbow
Blue birds fly
And the dreams that you dreamed of
Dreams really do come true ooh oooohSomeday I'll wish upon a star
Wake up where the clouds are far behind me ee ee eeh
Where trouble melts like lemon drops
High above the chimney tops thats where you'll find me ohSomewhere over the rainbow bluebirds fly
And the dream that you dare to,why, oh why can't I? i iiii

Well I see trees of green and
Red roses too,
I'll watch them bloom for me and you
And I think to myselfWhat a wonderful world
Well I see skies of blue and I see clouds of white
And the brightness of day
I like the dark and I think to myself
What a wonderful world
The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people passing by
I see friends shaking handsSaying, "How do you do?"
They're really saying, I...I love you
I hear babies cry and I watch them grow,
They'll learn much moreThan we'll know
And I think to myself
What a wonderful world (w)oohoorld
Someday I'll wish upon a star,
Wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where trouble melts like lemon drops
High above the chimney top that's where you'll find me
Oh, Somewhere over the rainbow way up high
And the dream that you dare to, why, oh why can't I? I hiii ?

So we just got back the video our friend put together from Spencer's fundraiser, ironically, we were looking through pictures of the beginning of this journey. Man. It is still amazing to me to think about all the support we get from everyone, even strangers. It is seriously overwhelming. I wish you could see this video. Click HERE for the Fundraiser blog post. I wish that you all who were not able to experience this fundraiser could fathom the intensity of it. All of the hours and brain work put into this for our family. For us, for Spencer. Although it seems so long ago lots of emotions and memories came rushing back. Spencer had been very ill. Very, very sick. It was our first sick stay and it was horrible. I did not know if my baby was going to make it out alive. The reality of cancer, of chemo and it's effects became ours. There were many agonizing nights, lots of prayers and many tears on my part shed. He was not able to make it to the fundraiser and I had to leave him at the hospital screaming that it was not fair, that he NEEDED to be there. I screamed and I cried and I pounded the steering wheel the whole way there. I felt an urgency to get there. It took watching the video to remember and even see for the first time what happened when I first arrived. I turned onto the street where the church was and all I saw were lines and lines of cars. Friends were acting as parking attendants and I could not help but cry. I was in shock. These people, all of these people were here for us. I walked in and was overwhelmed and I broke down. I couldn't help it. The Jazz Bear came up to me and kissed my head and gave me a hug, I believe he was sincerely caring. He knew how much Spencer wanted to be there. I had been agonizing over leaving Spencer but knew I needed to be there. MY friends did this for us and I needed to be there. I thought I was in shock when I saw all of the events going on outside until I walked inside to see the silent auction. Hundreds of people crowded around bidding on items to help our family out. It took me weeks to recover from the overwhelming emotion of tangible love that we felt that day. I wish that I was able to personally thank each one of you who were there. It touches my heart so very deeply to think about that day. I do indeed Well I see skies of blue and I see clouds of white
And the brightness of day I like the dark and I think to myself What a wonderful world. I wish upon the stars every night and know that soon we will wake up to the clouds far behind us.

We have come a long way from the scared little boy waiting for his fate, not knowing what his life is going to bring him to a confident bald kid, with faith bigger than the universe who has gone through surgeries, chemo, radiation, pokes, and near death experiences. We are thankful for our trials and and our blessings (although thinking of it all kind of makes me sick to my stomach).


3 comments:

  1. I have this song on my ipod. Love it. And now every time I hear it I'll think of my buddy Spencer! :) Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. k- uhmm besides that being the sweetest post.. u HAD to add the song in there.. i love that song so much!! and I can't beleive u have just heard it! That song as soo much more meaning now... no just reminding me of my favorite place but of my sweet little nephew ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Holly, this is the most amazing, inspiring, beautiful post! It really touched my heart and made me reflect on my own life as well as our AMAZING Spencer. Thank you so much for all of your wonderful posts. I know you just write from your heart, from your soul, but you are honestly a VERY talented writer. I love reading your blog! You truly bless my life just by being you. Love you! Kristi LeChe:)

    ReplyDelete