Thursday, July 1, 2010

Ray of Sunshine

I have not cried over cancer in awhile ( in the world of cancer moms awhile means like a week!). Spencer is doing well and is feeling healthy, I have had lots of reasons to smile. Yesterday I cried for the first time in "awhile". We had barely got settled into our hospital room when our nurse came in and told us about Ray. She said that there was a boy that was Spencer's age across the hall and he just barely shaved his head. He was soooo sad about shaving his head and was absolutely sure that there was not another kid around with the same "head style". He was not feeling well but she asked if we could just wave through the window so that he could see Spence and his cute bald head. Sometimes Spencer is hesitant about stuff like this. I was not sure how he would react, but with a big full smile, and nod of the head he said "yes!" We walked over to the room and cute little Ray feeling nauseated and all tucked under his blankets looked up and gave the sweetest smile when Spence waved to him and when he caught site of the identical head! Oh my heart. I have always known that Spence was a special kid. A different kind of special. The nurses here have shared with me that they will not work anywhere else because every single one of these kids possesses this same kind of "different special". I can testify to you that what I saw yesterday between those boys, even in the short moments it happened, and the feelings I get around these kids that this is most definitely true. I started welling up right there in the hall but I composed myself. I thought of his mom who was there with him and all of the things going on in her heart and in her mind, and in her soul over this new diagnosis. I wanted to tell her that things do get better, or at least that things feel more normal over time. I was telling my stepmom last night about this sweet little scenario and we both starting crying. How lucky we are to know these boys. How lucky we are to experience things like these in our lives even through yucky trials. I am thankful to have a son who can recognize his strengths and have the ability to serve even through all he is experiencing.

4 comments:

  1. That is so sweet! what a sweet kid, he is special, to so many people. I am thrilled to hear about his PET scan. Prayers are working. We love you Spencer and can't wait to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a sweet story. I'm so glad that you documented this. Spencer is a really good boy, I'm so proud of him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow ! Tear jerker ! Although we would never wish our heartaches on anyone, sometimes it's nice to be around people who understand firsthand the struggle. It is also such a blessing to see the compassion in people around us that understand enough to want to ease the burden ( nurses, friends and family ). Ofcourse, you have felt that from perfect strangers too, but once they reach out, they are no longer strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't cried in a while either, probably because I haven't had time to read your blog in a while. This story changed that, now it's only been about a minute since I last cried :) What an amazing, thoughtful boy your Spencer is. I love that he was willing to do that for the boy across the hall, I'm sure he sensed Spencer's goodness and that he must know exactly how he feels. You and he are both amazing. Thank you for opening up and sharing this journey with all of us, lots of us strangers to you, but we feel like we know and love you! You are a great example. Our family still prays for Spencer every day.

    ReplyDelete