Saturday, February 26, 2011

All In a Days Work

Friday the 18th started off as a normal day. It was even a little better than normal. I received this pretty box in the mail with this beautiful necklace from my Ally. The kids had piano lessons after school so I dropped them off and decided to do some exploring. I was not very familiar with the surrounding town so I thought I would take a drive. The view of the mountains was amazing and I thought I would stop to briefly take some pictures of them. I especially wanted my friends in California to see how beautiful they were. I saw an apartment complex with a large empty field that I could park in and take some pictures. Gavin was asleep in his car seat. I began driving into the field and then all of the sudden my car just stopped. I had no idea what had happened so I opened the door to get out and as soon as I put my feet on the ground, I found out...

an organic mud pedicure! I lost my shoes, literally in the mess. I ended up finding them but they were unsavable. My car had sunk into the mud. I tried to get out but to no avail. I started to panic because my kids were at piano lessons, I didn't have the phone number where they were and I had no idea what I was going to do. I called Saunie. I asked her if she would pick the kids up for me and luckily she was able to. Now to figure out how to get myself out of this sinking mud hole. I said a prayer, begging to get me out. I knew I would eventually get out but I had a feeling it was going to take more than asking this time. The second thing I thought to do was call my dad. He is always good at saving me.

My awesomely incredible dad, who just had knee surgery put broken down boxes all around my tires, found a sharp stick got on his hands and knees, and tried to dig me out. He worked for over an hour, in the freezing mud, with a sore knee. He did not have a chain but he had a rope and tied it to my car. I was just too stuck.
Because I had lost my shoes and was barefoot I was not able to help him dig. My feet were freezing and my car was covered in mud. Mud chunks went flying all around every time I tried to get out. 2 and a half hours later the tow truck showed up. I was so stuck he had bring his jeep and chain to "recover" my car.
All the while Gavs slept peacefully in the back. He woke up about the last half hour and giggled when I told him we were "stuck", and he clapped when we were "free".
So Ally, Lizzie, Katie and Jackson, here are the dang beautiful mountains! Please enjoy them or all was in vain. I was not even able to capture the mountain view I wanted because it was obstructed.

This is the mess left behind.

As soon as we got home we had to get ready to go to the Monster Jam. This was just all too much mud for me, for one day. Hopekids does the Monster Jam event every year. I am so glad that Dylan our home health nurse told us to bring ear plugs for the kids. It was so loud. The kids had an enjoyable time.

It was a long eventful day, but we made it alive and together, and that is what matters most.


  1. Quite an adventure! Reminds me of Alaska and the days we call-"Break-up". The snow melts and the mud thaws out...and if there are no city roads, you try and drive out of your yard:) *Familiar* Glad your dad was there for ya tho'.

  2. Great story. Great pictures! As one who has lived at the end of a two mile dirt road for 25 years, mud is inevitable. I've only been stuck a few times, but it's not fun and always inconvenient. That is why I insist that my car be at least an all wheel drive! Don't feel bad OK, we've done all those things trying to get unstuck. Sometimes we just wait until it dries out! I really hate mud!